Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The gorilla in the room...


The 2 most common questions:

1. How is Cadence, have you got the diabetes under control?
Answer: As of her last check an hour ago, she's under control.

2. Does Hailey have it yet?
Answer: No...I hope not.

Nic and I were hit from all sides on the debate about more children after Cadence was diagnosed with Type1 diabetes after just finishing a 6month bout of colic.

"You have enough on your plate"

"You guys really need to have a good baby next time"

"Why take the risk, what if the next on gets it?"

There's something about the constant puking, green poop, and long nights pacing the floor that the SMILE when I say "Hi Baby Hailey" doesn't completely erase. It's all worth it man to see her just so happy to be.

I find myself unconcerned for the most part about whether or not Hailey's islets cells are slowly shutting down. There's no way to know really, just wait until the Gorilla in the room (you see the analogy I hope) wakes up I suppose...if it does at all. The other day I went to check on her in the middle of the night and the diaper was absolutely full and she was very hungry/thirsty for milk. What was my first thought? Of course it was: I wonder what her blood sugar is....but i never checked. Change the diaper, give her some milk, and head back to sleep and hope that in the morning the diaper is bone-dry, which it was.

The truth of it is that for kids diagnosed under the age of 10, the risk of a sibling developing the disease is less than 1.5%. Is a 98.5% chance of a perfectly normal little baby/child worth the risk. That smile answers the question every time, you bet it is.

No comments: